Wednesday, September 14, 2016

Ephemeral Drawings

"Radiating," approximately 13x13", sticks, moss, vegetation
   For my first ephemeral piece, I was a little too careful in what I made. I wanted to make a circle of items that radiated outward, but ended up making a sort of nest. I do like the colors that occurred, the greens that contrast with the cool grey sticks and warm brown dead leaves and mulch, but I wish I had experimented with this one more.


"Regret," approximately 12x12", aquarium rocks, pinned insects
   For my second ephemeral piece, I decided to use items around my desk in my room, which included three different colored aquarium rocks and a shadowbox with pinned insects. I dumped the rocks out of the aquarium and used them to piece together a drawing of a giant swallowtail butterfly. After that, I took out and organized the pinned insects, and finally surrounded everything with white aquarium rocks. This piece earned it's title because that is the only emotion I felt after the first thirty minutes or so of placing small rocks in the shape of a butterfly. Only after finishing this piece did I realize that, like the first one, it was also radial in shape and was a sort of "nest," although more figuratively this time. It's in my room, so it's like the nest that I come back to, but it also contains aspects from two of my pastimes; fish/aquarium keeping and (found dead) insect collecting.

No comments:

Post a Comment